Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dizzy Donut

November 21, 2009

The Krispy Kreme Challenge came to town, and I, never running away from a challenge, of course had to participate. The event consisted of running two miles to Krispy Kreme, eating one dozen full-size donuts, and then running two miles back to the finish, all within one hour. The challenge got even more difficult in that there was also another race in town on that day--the Dizzy Fifties in which I was already registered. This problem was easily solved when Rob suggested that we had time to complete both events if we started the Dizzy 50k by ruuning the first 6 miles of the course, jumped in the car and drove down to the Krispy Kreme Challenge, completed it, drove back up to Dizzy, and then finished the 50k. The Dizzy Donut proved to be a long, full day.

Planning for these events was pretty easy--we decided not to eat too much the day before, since a dozen donuts would be enough food to get us through both races.  Therefore, the morning of the races, we just ate a snack and headed out for a full day.  We started Dizzy Fifties by running the first 6 miles of the race before we had to head down to the Krispy Kreme Challenge.  In an effort to keep our stomachs receptive to food, we decided not to start out too hard, since we would have plenty of time later on to speed up, if possible.  Luckily we had a couple of friends who wanted to see all the action take place willing to drive us to and from the KKC.  We got to the KKC a little early and had about a 10 minute wait before the race began.  When the gun finally went off, we, at a moderate pace, headed out towards Krispy Kreme.  After having to sprint across some railroad tracks so we wouldn't get stopped by a train, we made it to the donuts in about 17-18 minutes.  Then it was time to eat.

I thought that eating a dozen donuts would not be really hard, for I love to eat and felt that I could get them down with no problem.  However, I learned that the process would be more difficult than I imagined.  Actually, after just four donuts, I was getting full, but I knew I had to get 8 more down to complete the challenge.  After the first few donuts I realized that the most efficient way to eat them was to smush them together, so I could eat 4 or 5 at a time.  Also, water was a necessary part, for the donuts only went down when accompanied by liquids.  Rob proved to be a master eater, for he decided that to get the donuts down quickly, he had to make a donut coctail:  he literally put the donuts into a cup of water and drank them.  (Only well after the day was over could I even think about this without gagging).  I was not so brave and had to get the donuts down the old fashion way--shoving them in my mouth and just swallowing.  Boy was my tummy full!!  Finally with my hands and face covered with icing, I was ready to start the two miles back to the finish line. 

I started out by jogging gingerly, for I though that my stomach would not react well to the josseling movements.  However, I realized within the first quarter mile, that I could run without having many issues.  During the trip back to the finish, I actually held a better pace than on the way out.  Many people did not complete the real challenge of eating the whole dozen donuts, so it was hard to know where I would finish in the results.  I just kept running as fast as I could, and when I crossed the finsih line, I found out that I was the first female challenge winner.  Wow!!  I was the first, and not the only, girl who ran 2 miles,ate a dozen donuts, and then ran 2 miles back to the finish line, all in around 45 minutes.

For many challenge finishers they could go home and let the donuts settle in their bellies, but not us.  We had to get in the car, ride back up, and run 25 more miles in order to complete the 50k.  When we arrived back at the race, my stomach was not feeling very settled, but Rob was feeling good.  He quickly ran the next couple of loops, while I suffered immensely:  I felt as if I was going to puke at any time.  However, I knew that I had to finish, so I kept on pushing through, walking and jogging some, just waiting on my tummy to settle.  Finally, with about 6 miles to go, the donuts finally settled, and I felt as if I could run without gagging.  I finished the 35 miles (the 50k and the challenge) in 8 hours, 13 minutes, a time in which I am most proud. Surprisingly, shortly after I finished, I was hungry again, and we along with some friends went out for Mexican food.  My stomach responded kindly, and the Dizzy Donut became a full day of food and fun.